CITIZEN CONSUMER CLUB
Mrs. R. SANGEETHA, MCA, M.Phil., Lecturer in Computer Applications.
Year of Inception: 2009
The scheme on CITIZEN CONSUMER CLUB will work on the motivational zeal of consumer groups and on the case of creating awareness among students at a very young age and through them the general public.
THE OBJECTIVES OF THE CLUB
The primary objectives of the Citizen Consumer Club are to collaborate, cooperate, actively participate and function in accordance with the Department of Civil Supplies and Consumer Protection, Government of Tamil Nadu.
The allied objectives of the Club are;
- To educate the students about the various provisions of the Consumer Protection Act, 1986
- To reach-out the public, far and near, to educate them regarding their rights and responsibilities as consumers
- To join hands with other voluntary consumer organizations to enhance consumer movement
THE MISSION OF THE CLUB
In order to achieve the above said objectives the club will initiate organising seminars, conferences, consumer-fest, competitions, publishing articles on consumer issues, etc., and will actively participate in various programmes of the club.
- National Consumer Day (24th December)
- World Consumer Rights Day (15th March )
RIGHTS OF CONSUMER
Rights of Consumers as enumerated under the Consumer Protection Act, 1986.
- Right to safety
- Right to information
- Right to choose
- Right to be assured
- Right to be heard
- Right to redressal
- Right to consumer education
- Right to Healthy Environment
- Right to basic needs
- Critical Awareness
- Social concern
- Environmental Concern
- Sustainable Consumption
- Social Networking
REMEDIES AVAILABLE TO CONSUMER
- To remove the defect pointed out by the appropriate laboratory from the goods
- To replace the goods with the new goods of similar description, which are free from similar defects
- To return the price of the charges paid by the complainant
- To pay such amount as compensation to the consumer for any loss or injury suffered by the consumer due to the negligence of the opposite party
- To remove the defects of deficiencies in the services in question
- To discontinue the unfair trade practice or the restrictive trade practice or not to repeat
- To withdraw the hazardous goods from being offered for sale
- To provide for adequate costs to parties
3 R’S OF A DUTIFUL CONSUMER
- Reduce : Consume only what you need, if possible reduce consumption of water, electricity, fuel and other non-renewable resources.
- Reuse : If a product can serve you for a longer period, use it instead of buying a new one.
- Recycle : Don’t litter the environment, please recycle degradable or recyclable materials through scrap dealers.
Register for Consumer Alerts & Discussion Group Civil Supplies and Consumer Protection department will keep you informed of latest alerts from key Government agencies in India as well as international agencies on products that are spurious, hazardous or scams that consumers need to beware of. Please subscribe to the Yahoo Groups Account created for your benefit.
Web – http://consumer.tn.gov.in/registeryahoo.html
COMPLAINTS AND CONTACTS
Government of Tamil Nadu Civil Supplies & Consumer Protection Department, Ezhilagam, Chennai-5. Phone : 044-28583222 / 28583422
Web : www.consumer.tn.gov.in
E. mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any grievance/complaint relating to any drug/ cosmetic, you may file it with the Local Drug Inspector or with the Controller of drugs, 259/261 Anna Salai, Chennai 600 006, Phone: 044 24321830 or in the web at www.tnhealth.org
Can make online complaints at www.consumer.tn.gov.in
Highlights of Achievements of our College Citizen Consumer Club:
- In July-2009, Our students went to Auxilium College for Essay & Speech Competition and got 1 Gold Medal, 1 Silver Medal & 1 Bronze Medal.
- In July-2010, Our students went to KMGCollege for Essay, Painting & Speech Competition and won the prizes.
- In March-2011, Mrs. G.Loganayagi, Lecturer in Commerce Department, gave Orientation Programme to 5 Villages in Arcot District with our Team Members regarding awareness of Human Rights.
- In December-2012,Our Students have participated in “Human Rights Day” and conducted Essay competition on the topic “Foof Safety”, “Food Adulterants” and “Rights and Duties of Consumer”.